Quick and easy to make, this attractive, delicious salad is a summer crowd pleaser.
- 220g Clearspring Semi Whole Wheat or Spelt Penne
- 354g mange tout, halved on the diagonal
- 236g sliced cucumber
- 236g small cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 118g walnuts or pecans, broken
- 118g-177g Tofu Pesto
- Cook the penne according to the direction on the pack until ‘al dente', then immediately drain, rinse in a cold water bath, drain and set aside.
- Steam or blanche the mange tout for 1 minute, then immediately remove and plunge into a bowl of cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a serving bowl, tossing well to coat evenly with the pesto. Serve.
John & Jan Belleme
John & Jan Belleme are leading autorities on the healing powers of traditional Japanese foods. Before turning his focus to food and health, John was a research biologist for the Veteran's association in Miami, Florida, and he worked in laboratories at the Universities of Miami Medical School and Harvard University Medical School.
For more than twenty-five years John has applied his background in medical research to interpreting the literature on traditional Japanese medicinal foods.
In 1979, after living and studying in Japan for over a year - where the Bellemes learned the craft of miso?making firsthand - they co-founded the American Miso Company, one of the world's largest producers of traditional miso.
Since the 1980s the Bellemes have researched and written, and in many cases illustrated, over 130 published articles on the subject of Japanese foods, including four books:?Culinary Treasures of Japan;?Cooking with Japanese Foods: A Guide to the Traditional Natural Foods of Japan;?Clearspring - The Real Taste of Japan?and?The Miso Book.
John and Jan travel throughout the eastern United States giving lectures about authentic Japanese foods, and every winter, with partner Sandy Pukel, organise a week-long health cruise that features prominent experts in macrobiotic cooking, healthy living, holistic medicine, yoga, meditation, shiatsu, Pilates, and natural beauty aids. They live in Saluda, North Carolina.