Silken tofu gives a creamy texture to this vegan version of a Mediterranean classic.
- 59g pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 236g fresh basil leaves, tightly packed
- 59g flat leaf parsley
- 177g Clearspring Tofu
- 3 tbsp?Clearspring Sweet White Miso
- 79ml Omeg-A-Day - 78% Flax Oil Blend
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- In an un-oiled frying pan over a medium heat, toast the pine nuts, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Immediately remove from pan to prevent overcooking.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. If too thick, add a little water.
- This pesto will keep in the refrigerator for a few days, and can be used with hot pasta or grain or pasta salads.
John & Jan Belleme
John & Jan Belleme are leading autorities on the healing powers of traditional Japanese foods. Before turning his focus to food and health, John was a research biologist for the Veteran's association in Miami, Florida, and he worked in laboratories at the Universities of Miami Medical School and Harvard University Medical School.
For more than twenty-five years John has applied his background in medical research to interpreting the literature on traditional Japanese medicinal foods.
In 1979, after living and studying in Japan for over a year - where the Bellemes learned the craft of miso?making firsthand - they co-founded the American Miso Company, one of the world's largest producers of traditional miso.
Since the 1980s the Bellemes have researched and written, and in many cases illustrated, over 130 published articles on the subject of Japanese foods, including four books:?Culinary Treasures of Japan;?Cooking with Japanese Foods: A Guide to the Traditional Natural Foods of Japan;?Clearspring - The Real Taste of Japan?and?The Miso Book.
John and Jan travel throughout the eastern United States giving lectures about authentic Japanese foods, and every winter, with partner Sandy Pukel, organise a week-long health cruise that features prominent experts in macrobiotic cooking, healthy living, holistic medicine, yoga, meditation, shiatsu, Pilates, and natural beauty aids. They live in Saluda, North Carolina.